SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
Since January of 2006, Gus Gentner has been serving as the Chief Information Officer for Winnebago County Illinois Government. Mr. Gentner is responsible for Information Technology and Innovation (ITI) services for all Elected and Appointed Officials. During this time Mr. Gentner has developed and implemented the “Shared Services ITI” model that allows for the provisioning of ITI services to 27 other governmental agencies within Winnebago County Illinois.
Gus Gentner is a member of the Executive Team focused on fiscal responsibility, continuous process improvement, crime reduction, jail population management, court throughput, parolee reentry, probation, coroner case management, PPACA enrolment for offenders, code enforcement, landlord registration, public health, elections, animal control, highway services, property records, HR, facilities, purchasing and other business disciplines.
Gus Gentner has developed mutually beneficial relationships with County Elected and Appointed officials, other municipalities and regional, state and federal agencies. The academic paper “Embracing System Complexity in a Shared Service Center Collaboration” was published in the June 2014 MIS Quarterly. This paper was a collaboration of Mr. Gentner, department colleagues and members of academia (Bentley University).
Thorough educational, technical and management experience and skills with focus on: inter / intra customer service; innovation; strategic planning, organizational leadership; security; systems integration; obsolescence planning; enhanced user experience; network management; software development (web enabled, cloud, mobile, and others); software selection and implementation; backup and contingency planning; continuous process improvement; and accountability.
- January 2006 to Present – Chief Information Officer, Winnebago County, Illinois
- Acquired & developed credentialed staff.
- Centralized IT resulting in reduced cost and improved efficiency.
- Maintained customer service and quality in an era of declining revenues.
- Developed new sources of revenue for the IT department.
- Planned, managed and controlled the $6.7m Court & Case Management hardware & software replacement project. This project was completed on time and on budget. (Agencies included: Circuit Clerk, Court Services, Probation, Public Defender and the State’s Attorney)
- Planned and created management dashboards for the Executive Team.
- Designed and implemented, with the approval of the State’s Attorney, the outstanding fines & fees collection system resulting in improved collections from $200k to $1.3m annually.
- Directed the preparation of the systems requirements definition for code enforcement and selected a cloud based service.
- In process of completing a working prototype for “e-signature” for warrants and orders of protection for the Illinois 17 Judicial Circuit.
- Ensured four datacenters were power generated and target hardened.
- Deployed gigabit and lower speed packet microwave technology (licensed & unlicensed).
- Instituted annual perimeter security assessment and intrusion prevention.
- Planned and built redundancy into the Winnebago County MAN using fiber rings, FatPipes, multiple internet service providers and other failover technologies.
- Assisting the nursing home administration with using innovation for “resident centered care” using cloud based services.
- Directed the design, and managed, the development of the “Child Protection & Data Collection” cloud based application for the Administrative Office of Illinois Courts. Currently deploying to other Illinois counties.
- Leading the County wide “Shared Police Records” initiative for 12 Law Enforcement Agencies.
- September 1995 to December 2005 – President & Chief Technology Officer, August Consulting Company, Rockford Illinois
- Designed and implemented the Rockford Airport (RFD) MAN using fiber, copper & wireless to support passenger, cargo, maintenance, security and administrative functions.
- Assisted passenger air carriers with setting up operations at RFD.
- Assisted AirIT, Inc. with deploying airport common use technology at RFD.
- Developed and implemented the TSA No Fly list examination at RFD.
- Retired NetWare for Windows at Calvary Catholic Cemeteries (CCC).
- Activated RDS for CCC so that the Winnebago, Elgin and Aurora could all operate off the same book of record.
- Prepared a business pro forma and customer survey for Leaf River Telephone Company in Leaf River Illinois for the purposes of determining the feasibility of launching an Internet Service Provider business.
- In December 1997 launched LRNET1 with Leaf River Communications and Leaf River Telephone Company and the service remains viable today.
- Provided IT support services to Executive BTI Travel, Inc. in Rockford Illinois.
- Provided IT support services for Health Plan Administrators - a short term health and dental insurance administrator. Connected the Rockford and Tampa office via static tunnel to allow for data sharing between the offices.
- Pre September 1995
- Employed in the Corporate Offices of the Sundstrand Corporation (now UTC, Hamilton Sundstrand). Managed Administrative Services which included a $26m budget. Administrative Services included, but not limited to: worldwide computer security management; executive protection facilitation; workplace violence training; created and administered a companywide records management system and managed corporate travel contracts.
EDUCATION / CERTIFICATES
- Master of Public Health, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI.
- Certified Project Manager (Project Management Institute, www.pmi.org)
- Certificate in Human Resource Management, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional, ISC2, Worcester, MA. (Expired)